Saturday 15 April 2017

Franken Scraps!

   So, yesterday I brought home some sliced tomatoes from work that had been added to the wrong salad and had to be removed, but they couldn't be reused in another salad due to touching nuts. Since I don't have nut issues I decided to re use them rather than toss them in the garbage. I also was allowed to take home the bread ends from our sandwiches for the week and the left over cooked burger patties from our BBQ. 
    I pre-cut the bread ends into small squares, froze some to become croutons on another day and used some to make Apple Bread Pudding (to use up some wrinkled apples and half and half cream that expires today). 
Image result for food saving quotes

   I put the tomatoes slices in the food processor, added some chopped red onion, the last bit of feta, some camelina oil flavored with garlic and basil, some red wine vinaigrette, salt, sugar and crushed garlic for the Bruschetta.
   After a day of eating all the Bruschetta that I could there was still a lot left and waste not want not, so I decided to make a Lentil Salad with the remainders. I boiled some lentils in chicken soup stock with some herbs, when it was done, I added in the Bruschetta mix, then some shredded carrots and Voila! a delicious salad.
   The burgers were portioned and frozen, the apple bread pudding was put in several containers and either frozen, taken to work, or left for a snack in the fridge. All in all a productive weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment